Sometimes I Want Comfort and Isolation at the Same Time

There are days in perimenopause when I desperately want comfort…
but also want everyone to leave me alone.

I want someone to notice I’m struggling without asking too many questions.
I want reassurance without conversation.
Presence without pressure.
Love without noise.

And honestly? That emotional contradiction can feel impossible to explain.

One minute I feel lonely.
The next minute even hearing someone talk feels overwhelming.

Sometimes I want to curl up beside someone safe and comforting.
Sometimes I want to disappear into silence for twelve hours straight.

Both feelings can exist at the same time.

And during perimenopause, they often do.


The Nervous System Conflict Nobody Talks About

A lot of women think this means they are:

  • becoming cold
  • emotionally unavailable
  • “too sensitive”
  • difficult
  • antisocial
  • disconnected from their relationships

But often, what’s actually happening is nervous system overload.

Your body may be craving:

  • emotional safety
  • soothing
  • softness
  • grounding
  • co-regulation
  • reassurance

While simultaneously being unable to tolerate:

  • stimulation
  • conversation
  • emotional demands
  • touch
  • questions
  • decision-making
  • noise
  • social interaction

That internal tug-of-war can feel incredibly confusing.

You want connection.
But your nervous system also wants protection.


Why This Happens in Perimenopause

Hormonal shifts affect far more than reproductive cycles.

They also affect:

  • stress tolerance
  • sensory processing
  • emotional regulation
  • sleep
  • energy
  • nervous system resilience

When estrogen fluctuates, many women notice they become:

  • more emotionally reactive
  • more easily overstimulated
  • more sensitive to noise and interruptions
  • more socially exhausted
  • more prone to emotional shutdown

Your “window of tolerance” can shrink dramatically.

Things you used to handle easily may suddenly feel overwhelming.

And when the nervous system becomes overloaded, isolation can start to feel safer than interaction.

Even interaction with people you love.


Wanting Comfort Does Not Mean Wanting Conversation

This is something many women struggle to explain to partners and family members.

Sometimes comfort looks like:

  • sitting quietly beside someone
  • being hugged briefly and gently
  • having someone bring you tea
  • hearing “You don’t have to explain yourself”
  • being allowed to rest without guilt
  • having emotional permission to withdraw temporarily

Not every emotional need requires processing out loud.

Sometimes the nervous system heals through quiet safety, not discussion.


The Guilt That Often Comes With It

Many women feel guilty for pulling away.

Especially women who are naturally nurturing, social, empathetic, or emotionally available to others.

You may wonder:

  • “Why do I suddenly need so much space?”
  • “Why can’t I tolerate people like I used to?”
  • “Why do I feel lonely and overstimulated at the same time?”
  • “Am I becoming depressed?”
  • “Am I pushing everyone away?”

Sometimes there is depression involved.
Sometimes anxiety is contributing.
Sometimes chronic stress, burnout, grief, or neurodivergence are part of the picture too.

But sometimes this is also simply what a chronically overloaded nervous system feels like.

Not hatred of people.
Not failure.
Not selfishness.

Just exhaustion.


Isolation Can Become a Form of Self-Protection

For many women, perimenopause exposes how overstimulated they have been for years.

Constant caregiving.
Constant masking.
Constant emotional labor.
Constant noise.
Constant responsibility.

At some point, the nervous system starts demanding recovery.

And recovery often looks quieter than the world expects women to be.


What May Actually Help

Instead of forcing yourself to socialize normally, it can help to look for gentler forms of connection.

Things like:

  • sitting outside with someone quietly
  • texting instead of talking
  • low-pressure companionship
  • comfort shows or calming environments
  • shorter social interactions
  • asking for reassurance directly
  • sensory-friendly rest
  • taking intentional alone time without guilt

You do not have to choose between being completely isolated or fully emotionally available all the time.

There is a middle ground.


You Are Not Contradictory for Feeling This Way

You can love people deeply
and still need distance.

You can crave comfort
and still need silence.

You can want support
without wanting stimulation.

Those things are not mutually exclusive.

For many women in perimenopause, this becomes one of the strangest emotional experiences of all:
feeling emotionally tender while simultaneously feeling unable to tolerate very much.

And that does not make you broken.

It makes you overwhelmed.


If this resonated with you, you may also relate to:

  • “Why It’s So Hard to Calm Down in Perimenopause”
  • “The Exhaustion Paradox: Wired but Tired”
  • “Why Perimenopause Can Feel So Lonely”
  • “Masking During Perimenopause”
  • “The Nervous System in Perimenopause”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Perimenopause from A-Z

Common Perimenopause Symptoms: What They Actually Feel Like

Reading Library