10 Things I Wish I'd Known Before Perimenopause Started
If I could sit down with my younger self over a cup of coffee, there are a few things I'd like to tell her.
First, stop worrying so much about what other people think.
Second, enjoy those nights when you can actually fall asleep and stay asleep.
And third?
We need to have a serious conversation about perimenopause.
Because somewhere along the way, my body decided to start changing the rules without giving me a copy of the new instruction manual.
I knew menopause existed. I knew that eventually my periods would stop, and I'd probably experience a few hot flashes.
What I didn't know was that the years leading up to menopause could involve so many unexpected changes.
The anxiety. The mood swings. The brain fog. The exhaustion that somehow manages to coexist with insomnia.
And perhaps the most frustrating part? Not always knowing whether what I was experiencing was hormonal, emotional, or something else entirely.
Looking back, there are so many things I wish someone had explained.
So, whether you're just beginning to notice changes or you're already deep into this unpredictable transition, here are ten things I wish I'd known before perimenopause started.
1. Perimenopause Can Start Earlier Than You Expect
For years, I assumed menopause was something that happened in your 50s.
I imagined my periods would eventually become less frequent, disappear, and that would be that.
Simple enough, right?
Not exactly.
Perimenopause commonly begins in the 40s, but some women experience changes in their late 30s.
And it doesn't always announce itself with an obvious symptom.
Sometimes, the first sign is a slightly shorter menstrual cycle. Other times, it's worsening PMS, sleep changes, or a sudden shift in how you respond to stress.
What I wish I'd known: You don't have to be close to 50 to begin experiencing perimenopause.
And you don't have to wait until your periods become irregular to ask questions about symptoms that are affecting your life.
2. Your Period Can Become Completely Unpredictable
Remember when you could reasonably predict when your period would arrive?
Those were the days.
During perimenopause, menstrual cycles can become shorter, longer, lighter, heavier, or simply unpredictable.
You might have a period every three weeks for a while.
Then suddenly, you go six weeks without one.
Just when you think your period might finally be disappearing, it returns.
Sometimes with enthusiasm.
The reason? Ovulation becomes less consistent, and estrogen and progesterone patterns fluctuate.
What I wish I'd known: Irregular periods are common during perimenopause, but not every bleeding change should automatically be blamed on hormones.
Very heavy bleeding, bleeding between periods, bleeding after sex, or persistent unusual bleeding should be discussed with a healthcare professional.
And if you've gone 12 consecutive months without a period, any new bleeding needs medical evaluation.
3. Brain Fog Can Make You Question Your Own Memory
There is something uniquely frustrating about walking into a room and having absolutely no idea why you're there.
Or forgetting a word you've used thousands of times.
Or stopping halfway through a sentence because your train of thought apparently left the station without you.
Brain fog can make even ordinary tasks feel more difficult.
During perimenopause, some women experience changes in attention, concentration, and memory.
Hormonal fluctuations may contribute, but disrupted sleep, stress, anxiety, and other health conditions can also play a role.
What I wish I'd known: Brain fog doesn't automatically mean something serious is happening to your memory.
But significant, persistent, or worsening cognitive symptoms deserve attention rather than being dismissed as just another part of getting older.
4. Mood Changes Can Feel Completely Out of Character
One of the hardest things about perimenopause is how unfamiliar your own emotions can sometimes feel.
Maybe something that wouldn't normally bother you suddenly makes you furious.
Maybe you cry over something small.
Or perhaps you wake up irritated without understanding why.
For women who already experience significant premenstrual symptoms, this transition can feel
If I could go back in time and have a chat with my younger self, I’d have a lot to say. Not about career choices or fashion regrets (though, let’s be honest, some of those too), but about perimenopause—the wild hormonal rollercoaster no one warned me about.
I knew menopause was a thing, but no one mentioned the years before it, when my body would start acting like a glitchy computer. So, for anyone who's just starting this journey, here are the things I really wish I had known.
1. It Starts Earlier Than You Think
I thought menopause was something that happened in my 50s, and that one day, my period would just poof—disappear. Turns out, perimenopause can start as early as your late 30s or early 40s. It’s not an overnight change; it’s a slow, sneaky transition that comes with all sorts of surprises.
2. Your Period Becomes Completely Unpredictable
Remember when your cycle was like clockwork? Yeah, those days are over. One month it’s light, the next it’s a crime scene. You might go three months without a period, then suddenly have two in one month. It’s chaos, and no amount of tracking apps can save you.
3. Brain Fog Is Real (And No, You’re Not Losing Your Mind)
I once put my phone in the fridge and spent half an hour looking for it. My ability to recall words? Gone. I started having conversations where I’d stop mid-sentence, completely blanking on what I was saying. If you’ve ever felt like you’re walking around in a mental fog, you’re not alone—hormones mess with your brain, too.
4. Mood Swings Can Hit Out of Nowhere
One minute, you’re fine. The next, you’re crying because someone ate the last cookie. Or raging because your partner breathed too loudly. It’s like PMS but on steroids. And the worst part? You know you’re being irrational, but you can’t always stop it.
5. Sleep? What’s That?
I used to fall asleep easily and stay asleep. Then perimenopause hit, and suddenly I was waking up at 3 a.m. every night, staring at the ceiling, contemplating life. Night sweats, anxiety, and random wake-ups became my new normal. And let’s not even talk about the days where I felt exhausted but still couldn’t fall asleep.
6. Hot Flashes Are No Joke
I thought hot flashes were just feeling warm. No. They are full-body infernos that start in your chest and spread like wildfire. One minute, you’re fine; the next, you’re sweating through your clothes, peeling off layers, and wondering if you should move into a walk-in freezer.
7. Anxiety Can Show Up Out of Nowhere
I never considered myself an anxious person, but perimenopause had other plans. Suddenly, small things felt overwhelming. I found myself second-guessing everything, overthinking conversations, and feeling waves of panic for no reason at all. Turns out, hormonal shifts can trigger anxiety, even if you’ve never had it before.
8. Perimenopause Affects More Than Just Your Hormones
Your skin changes (hello, dryness and adult acne). Your hair might thin. Your digestion can get weird. Your metabolism slows down, making weight gain way easier. Basically, your body just decides to rewrite all the rules.
9. Self-Care Is No Longer Optional
When I was younger, I could get away with skipping meals, staying up late, and running on caffeine. Not anymore. Perimenopause forces you to slow down and take care of yourself. Sleep, hydration, stress management, and a balanced diet aren’t just nice-to-haves—they’re survival tools.
10. You’re Not Alone
The best thing I’ve learned? So many women are going through the exact same thing. It’s not just you. You’re not broken. And even though perimenopause can be frustrating, confusing, and exhausting, it’s also a phase—one that you will get through.
Let’s Talk!
If you’ve been through perimenopause (or are in the thick of it), what’s something you wish you knew before it started? Share in the comments—I’d love to hear your thoughts!
Comments
Post a Comment